Thursday, May 26, 2011

Talk To The Workers

As I finish my chair one last challenge has risen- how to attach legs to the fiberglass base! When I dropped my fiberglass piece off I talked to a worker who after discussing my dilemma for a while posed the thought, what if you fiberglassed the legs into the chair… so the stainless steel legs would be held into the chair with fiberglass. As I've been thinking about this deciding if this is a viable option I've considered the pros and the cons. 


Pros:
1) It's a one step process, you can shoot the fiberglass seat with the legs sitting on top of the mold allowing you to shoot the connection at the same time. This is incredibly important now as we are about to head into Memorial Day Weekend and my final critique is next Friday.
2) According to the man who chops the fiberglass for a living, the fiberglass is incredibly strong and won't break.


Cons:
1) If this is such a good solution, why has no one done this before? 
2) What if this fails… Is a failure like this really accepted during this project? It's taking an educated risk, and is that alright?


I still am not sure what will happen but I hope it's good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment