Saturday, April 30, 2011

Update on Callie

Currently I am in the process of designing Callie- my calla lily inspired fiberglass chair. My design process focused mainly on ergonomics, and the idea that you can create a comfortable chair without cushions, is coming along. Currently I am hand carving pieces of foam glued together, to be more ergonomic. This is my mold. I use plaster to create test samples of what the mold will create, then I alter it to be more visually appealing. Next is to adjust the foam to be more comfortable. After I have created "the most comfortable chair" I can I am going to use a grid system and translate the foam model to the computer. I was originally going to 3D scan this, however the prices for a student are ridiculous. I eat ramen noodles every night already, I can't afford to get a complex model that may be so intricate it shows all of my imperfections from my rough model. After I create a 3D model of my foam, I am going to have it milled out again in foam. This is to create the most perfect mold I can since fiberglass will show all of my imperfections. Then I will send it out (or personally) create a fiberglass mold. This is an intense process and I'm trying to get the most work done every week I can. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment